We All Have a Place at Parkway United Church of Christ
As an inclusive congregation that seeks to act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with God, Parkway United Church of Christ invites all to share in the life and leadership, ministry, fellowship, worship, sacraments, responsibilities and blessings of participation in our open and affirming congregation. We all have a place at Parkway:
A place in the sanctuary
We cherish the traditions we have inherited and built from nearly 175 years as a congregation, but we are open to changes and improvements that will attract new and experienced Christians to our congregation. Therefore, we will:
• Deepen worship experiences, making them more meaningful for all ages in our multi-generational family.
• Continue innovative ways to connect with God in real, powerful ways – including the use of technology and exploring sacraments and music in new ways, at additional times, and with a wider variety of participants.
• Expand our prayer life through contemporary and traditional practices and an open invitation to pray with and for each other.
A place in the classroom
We are a congregation that values learning and recognizes the role of education in our life-long quest for spiritual growth. Therefore, we will:
• Build a sustainable Christian education program for all that provides a broad offering of educational opportunities as we continue our faith journeys.
• Partner with youth and young adults for a faith-filled life through strong programming emphasizing outreach, leadership, and the core values we affirm in our vision, mission and congregational statements.
• Identify one another’s spiritual gifts and find ways to utilize them in our everyday lives and in the church’s mission.
A place at the table
We are a growing congregation that gathers at a variety of times and places, and in a number of configurations large and small, so we must be intentional about building a whole community. Therefore, we will:
• Organize congregational events that bring our diverse faith family together.
• Ensure that our building supports our congregation’s physical and spiritual needs as well as the needs of the community we serve.
• Actively invite all to join us at the table, for we celebrate and set a table that is welcoming…. ‘No matter who you are or where you are on life’s journey, you are welcome here.’
A place in the community
We are a small part of a large community. We are blessed and can use the gifts God has given us to make a significant difference. Therefore, we will:
• Multiply and diversify our involvement in our community, both near and far.
• Encourage active engagement in social justice issues.
• Increase participation in our United Church of Christ – within the St. Louis Association, the Missouri Mid-South Conference, at the National level and in other
A place in our ministry
We are accountable to ourselves, to our partners in ministry, and to God to follow through on this plan as we continue to spread the Good News. Therefore, we will:
• Provide opportunities for all Parkway members and visitors to participate in living out this plan.
• Challenge commissions and committees to find where their ministerial strengths and opportunities intersect with this plan, giving direction for their ministry, setting
2-3 goals and reporting quarterly progress to the Council.
• Designate the Council to review the work of commissions and committees on a quarterly basis, ensuring that we are actively working to meet our goals.
Approved at the 2010 PUCC Leadership Retreat
October 23, 2010
We shall seek the way of God in today’s world through . . .
Joyful Worshipping • Inclusive Caring • Compassionate Serving
Parkway United Church of Christ seeks within the church universal to respond faithfully to the promises of God as witnessed in the Old Testament and New Testament. We seek to follow the way of the crucified and risen Christ. Therefore, we will worship God, educate and nurture persons for discipleship, build a caring Christian community, participate in God’s mission to the world, be stewards of the resources God has entrusted to us. May all that we are and do be to God’s Glory.
Parkway United Church of Christ, with God’s grace, seeks to be a congregation that includes all persons, regardless of race, ethnic, or socio-economic background while respecting differences of gender, marital status, age, sexual orientation, and mental and physical ability. We aspire to act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with our God. We invite all to share in the life and leadership, ministry, fellowship, worship, sacraments, responsibilities and blessings of participation in our open and affirming congregation.