If you enjoy singing, we would love to have you join the choir! We rehearse Wednesday evenings, 6:30-8:00pm, and sing for the 9:30am worship service on Sundays, with a warm up at 8:45am. Child care is provided on Wednesday evenings and before the service on Sundays. Rehearsals resume this Wednesday, September 2, and we will sing for the 9:30am worship services beginning on Sunday, September 13. Please contact Barbara Raedeke at BRaedeke@aol.com, or just come to the first rehearsal on August 26. You will be most welcome!
We have wonderful music at Parkway. From the the great canon of western music, the classical sacred repertory, chant, gospel and folk to contemporary songs and global influences, there is something for everyone here. We are blessed to have Barbara Raedeke, accomplished organist and director of the Adult Choir. We enjoy participation from St. Louis Symphony musicians in our congregation and several talented youth and adults. We also periodically bring in local groups to provide special music and/or to lead our informal worship service. Join us and engage in hearing, singing or playing music that inspires, comforts and energizes your faith. [Scroll down to view older posts.]
During the summer months when the choir does not sing, we invite members, both adults and youth, to provide special instrumental or vocal music for the 9:30 service. If you would like to share your musical gifts with us over the summer, please speak with Barbara Raedeke or contact her at BRaedeke@aol.com. We are blessed with so many musically talented members here at Parkway, and we hope they will make this important contribution to our worship!
Church Orchestra Rehearsal April 19
3rd Sundays (April – November)| 6:30-8:00pm | Choir Room (Please note 1 time room change.)
The Parkway Church Orchestra resumes monthly rehearsals this Sunday, April 19 in the Choir Room. (We typically meet in the Heritage room but for this rehearsal only, we are using the choir room.) We are seeking more orchestra instrumentalists to join us. For more information contact Roger Fagerberg at 314-878-7646 | email@example.com for needed information.
Winter—Spring Concert Series
#WCS2015 is an 8 week concert series that features live performances of original work by Jay-B and local artists. As part of the Jay-B Saffold Project, the winter concert series seeks to provide performance opportunities for artists; while creating awareness and support for the independent arts community in Saint Louis. Spotlight Lounge invites you to join us for family-friendly music, dance, comedy and more.
This event starts in March and we are still looking for performers as well!
For more info visit Spotlightlounge.org or contact Jay-B Saffold: Jaybnation@gmail.com 3149540274 | spotlightlounge.org
Jay-B’s Spotlight Lounge, Inc.
If you would like to sing with the choir but can’t come on a regular basis, please consider joining us for Holy Week and Easter. We will present special music on Good Friday (April 3) and Easter (April 5). We’ll rehearse this music on Wednesdays from 6:30-8:00 p.m. beginning March 18. If you’d like to sing with us, simply come to choir rehearsal on Wednesday evenings. You are most welcome!
Give in to your Inner Diva! Ten Reasons to Join Parkway’s Choir
- Flexibility and convenience: We practice Wednesday nights 6:30-8:00pm, but choir is forgiving if you need to take a night off. Plus there is child care! Or Youth Night. Wow! How ’bout that, you parents. (Parents of youths can save gas by hanging out and singing instead of making two round trips.) We also take the summer off!
- Premium Parking: Because we meet at 8:45am for practice before 9:30am service, choir members always can get front row parking.
- Professional: Parkway has a wonderful professional choir director—we are made familiar with a wide variety of worship music and learn lots about ensemble singing. She knows so much. And never wastes our t
- Expand your prayer life: Did you know “He/she who sings in church prays twice!”
- Increase your Bible knowledge: Learning Church music is Bible Study. Psalms, hymns, OT, NT, etc. and Spirituals. (my personal faves.)
- No dress code: We wear robes, so you can come to church in PJs if you want and no one will know.
- Laugh with us: We have a wonderful group of comedians, mostly tenors, but all voices can play. Much laughter before and after (never during) our work on our music. Choir is fun.
- We are family: The choir is a special Christian community within a community. We have love, love, love. Almost always.
- We need you: Several of our key voices and their owners are in England for several months—we need more singers.
- All are welcome: There are no auditions and no critics. Any gift is welcome. Come join and help us scatter joy.
Singing can have some of the same effects as exercise, like the release of endorphins, which gives the singer an overall “lifted” feeling and is associated with stress reduction. It’s also an aerobic activity, meaning it gets more oxygen into the blood for better circulation, which tends to promote a good mood. And singing necessitates deep breathing, another anxiety reducer.
Interested? Contact us. Or simply join us on Wednesday evenings from 6:30-8:00pm! You are most welcome!
If you enjoy singing but can’t make a regular commitment to the choir, why not consider joining us for the Christmas season? We will present a Service of Lessons and Carols at the 9:30 worship service on Sunday, December 14, and sing special music for the 7:30 worship service on Christmas Eve. We will rehearse this music on Wednesdays from 6:30-8:00pm beginning December 3. If you would like to sing with us, please contact Barbara Raedeke at Braedeke@aol.com, or simply come to choir rehearsal on Wednesday evenings. You are most welcome!
The Christmas County Spelling Bee
December 14 | 11:00am | Sanctuary
The time has come and we are busy working on our Christmas pageant, The Christmas County Spelling Bee. Everyone will have the chance to have a special part. We will be working on music and parts on Sunday mornings, Wednesday Youth Nights and Voices of Grace will also participate. Your attendance in Sunday school is very important over the next month in order to learn songs and parts. Come one, come all! We will learn how to spell the many names of Jesus. Did you know there are at least 700 different names?
Christmas Pageant Rehearsals
Sunday, December 7 |9:30am| During Sunday School
Saturday, December 13 | 9:30-11:00am
This Sunday and next Saturday all children and youth will be working on our Christmas Pageant, The Christmas County Spelling Bee. Please make every effort to be there for both rehearsals. Rehearsal is so important in doing our very best! Our pageant will be performed on Sunday, December 14 at the 11:00am worship service. Thanks to all parents for helping make this happen. The children will never forget this experience!
Contact: Barb Kuhlmann at firstname.lastname@example.org
3rd Sundays | 6:30-8:00pm | Heritage Room
The Parkway Church Orchestra continues its monthly rehearsals this Sunday. We will be rehearsing Christmas music. We are seeking more instrumentalists (strings, woodwinds, brass, and percussion) to join us. If you have not participated recently, please contact Roger Fagerberg at 314-878-7646 or at email@example.com for needed information.